Thursday, August 2, 2007

Are you a writer or a bookseller? Check out Steve Weber's Books!

Steve Weber is one of my favorite authors, someone who manages not only to write wonderful books about selling and internet exposure but who also keeps people informed about similar topics on his website, Selling Books. He is avid about the world of books and bookselling and the various changes in the way readers and books find one another and the individual bookseller's role, especially independent bookseller and authors.

You can see his profile, a list of his books and a link to his website here: http://www.weberbooks.com/profile.htm

He has definitely advanced my learning curve when it comes to books and bookselling (I can't keep EVERY book I read, much as I love books). His blog discusses current issues in the book world, everything from selling books to articles about booksellers. Even if you don't sell books, it is worth a look, quite informative, lively and just plain fun to read.

One of his latest books is called Plug Your Book and if you are interested in getting the word out about your book, you can't do better than this one. Disclaimer: I want to be clear that I did read the book and my comments are on the front cover but I have no financial stake in this book, do not receive any royalties, etc. In short, this is an unbiased opinion about a wonderful book.

Here's my review of another of his books, The Home-Based Bookstore :

Read this one and you WILL be able to hit the ground running. And I say that as someone who opened this book warily, knowing what it SHOULD contain- and hoping that it did. I'd been disappointed so many times before with similar books. This time, I wasn't disappointed.

My perspective is that of a former bookseller. When I started out, I'd bought ever book on the subject I could find. Even so, l had a steep learning curve because every single one of those books omitted important info.


THIS book is the one I should have had and it is the ONLY one I would have needed. It is very, very user-friendly, written in clear language and arranged in short sections that contain all the details yet are easy to read. There isn't a single word that is unnecessary. In short, the guy not only knows his business but knows how to pass on the info quickly and painlessly. It is a joy to read such a well-researched, concise volume which somehow manages to squeeze in all the important points about bookselling, from start to finish.

I was delighted to see that this volume not only included the basics (where to find books, what books to buy and which books to avoid like the plague) but also contained the kind of detailed info that most new sellers need but don't automatically know. In fact, I learned quite a bit myself, a reminder that no one is so experienced that a "refresher course" won't help.

I'd done quite well in the business myself and yet there was plenty of info I found here that I hadn't seen before (but wish I had). The sections on organizing your inventory, invenstory softwear and using the newest innovations in wireless price lookups can save buyers needless time and energy. I adapted some of my own methods of book organization after reading this book.

ALL booksellers, new or experienced, could use a review of the info contained in the Taxes, Legal Requirements and Records section of the book.

Finally, the author doesn't contain only CURRENT info but gives readers a "heads up" about the future of bookselling, types of sales venues, etc, making the information not only timely but useful in the future as well.

Readers should look carefully at the sections on Amazon and Ebay, as the author gives an accurate comparison of the pros and cons of each venue (Amazon's "auction" format is defunct, for all practical purposes) and how each has changed over the years. His view is accurate, revealing how a single year can change everything in the online bookselling world. In another year, who knows? Things could change just as quickly.

With this book, you ought to be able to stay on top of the learning curve.

No comments: